Miguel Theriaga, CEO of NaturaFish, has 20 years of experience in the management of natural pond farming, with particular experience in the Alvor estuary. He is a pioneer in the development and use of natural methods in the farming of seabass and seabream in estuary ponds, such as:
– All-natural feed formulas that improve taste, texture, and color
– The use of essential oils in the treatment of pathologies and as anesthetics to reduce the stress of fish while being handled, e.g., during sampling
– New and innovative techniques that reduce stress and animal suffering during harvest, while improving taste and texture and increasing shelf life
– Proprietary farm management systems, including production cost and biomass modeling
– Research in the production of multiple species in estuary ponds, such as black bream, meager, and sole
– Vaccination using native bacteria
Miguel has a BSc degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences from the University of Lisbon and an advanced degree in Industrial Management and Information Systems from INDEG-ISCTE. He is a former production manager for Schering Plough Pharma and Janssen Cilag.